The building dates back to the 13th century and was repeatedly and heavily damaged during bombings. The ceiling of the main nave collapsed and a huge fresco, “Paradiso”, painted by Giulio Quaglio in 1702, was destroyed. The perimeter walls of the presbytery survived, but the gothic apse vault collapsed on the high altar, erected in 1707 by Giovanni and Leonardo Pacassi. The Paroli fresco behind the altar was completely destroyed. The church as it stands today is the result of a reconstruction completed in 1928.