Garden streets

Via XXIV Maggio – Via Nazario Sauro – LIONS

Joseph Wujtechowsky, a Polish government engineer, was called upon to build the new Gorizia Courthouse, complete with an attached prison, as required by Habsburg organizational protocols at the time. Between 1899 and 1902, he completed this "public work" on the site of the demolished old Customs House. It was sponsored by the Viennese Ministry of Justice and built according to a standardized design, repeated, as needed, to a greater or lesser extent in other provincial capitals of the former Austrian monarchy. It is a bland and eclectic mass that reflects the bureaucratic architecture of the former Habsburg monarchy" (Carlo Luigi Bozzi, "Gorizia e la Provincia Isontina", 1965).

Built by the Polish engineer Joseph Wujtechonsky between 1909 and 1902, the Palace of Justice extends across two wings that meet in a curved line at the intersection of Via Sauro and Via Filzi, where the corner dome rises. During the First World War, it was the headquarters of the Austrian military command. In the image, on the wing along Via Filzi, Italian troops are stationed after the conquest of the city in August 1916.

Cars were so scarce in the 1930s that a double row of trees framed the main entrance to the Palace of Justice on Via Sauro. On the left of the image, on the corner of Via XXIV Maggio, is the Del Pin house, characterized by its decorative simplicity enlivened by the play of colors between the red of the exposed brick and the ochre of the facades. It was built by the architect Silvano Barich-Baresi (1884-1958), who was very active in Gorizia in the first half of the twentieth century.

Place

Nazario Sauro Street, Gorizia
Privacy Policy Cookie Policy
D
THE