Via Crispi – Via Morelli – LIONS
Via Morelli, named after the historian Carlo Morelli de Schönfeld (1730–1792), who lived there at number 39, was formerly known as "Via delle Beccherie" (Beccherie Street), because until the 18th century, this street, outside the old customs walls, was home to the city's slaughterhouses, which used the "grapa" moat for their operations. The protruding windows on the upper floors of the houses allowed for a lateral view even in the winter months, without having to open the doors.
Immediately behind the current Chamber of Commerce, formerly the Palazzo delle Consiglio delle Corporazioni di Gorizia (City Council Building), designed in 1930 by engineer Alberto Cristofori and architect Bruno Sarti, the previous headquarters of the Chamber of Commerce stood there since 1903. Behind it was the "Francesco Giuseppe" gallery, a venue for trade fairs and exhibitions, built by Polish engineer Joseph Wujtechonsky. The building, of which the body still stands on the street, was demolished during the First World War and never rebuilt.
In the 1930s, the INA (National Insurance Institute) building was built opposite the Chamber of Commerce, with its porticoed ante-corps matching that of the Chamber of Commerce. The right corner of the building marked the construction line for the Via Roma, which would be built on the site of the former gardens of the Ursuline Convent. Benito Mussolini would walk along this road during his first visit to Gorizia in 1938, on his way to Piazza Vittoria, where he would meet the citizens from a podium in the Prefecture.



