Corso Verdi (Market) – LIONS
The "Soldier's House" was a wooden building designed as a meeting place, a place for military personnel to gather, eat, and relax, almost like an after-work club where they could relax at the bar or play cards. In its place, the headquarters of the Banca Cattolica del Veneto was built in the 1960s, of which the stone lion remains but not the inscription. Designed by architect Mario Baresi (1909–1994), the terracotta cladding of the facades, the white stone of the base, and the setback angles create a harmonious dialogue with the Post Office and Telegraph Building located opposite.
The new Covered Market was built in 1927, replacing the previous one that stood on the site of the current Post Office Building and was destroyed during the First World War. Designed by Riccardo Del Neri (1896-1964), it is a splendid example of late Art Nouveau that should be preserved as it is, with its period iron stalls painted green and its paving made of Maroni block cement tiles. A plaque at the entrance commemorates the 1984 renovation carried out by architect Willy Riavis, during Ferdinando Visintin's tenure as Chief Engineer at the Municipality.
The Post and Telegraph Building was inaugurated on October 28, 1932. Built on the site of the Covered Market, which was bombed in 1916 and rebuilt ten years later on the other side of the intersection, it is the exquisite work of Angiolo Mazzoni (1894–1979), chief engineer of the railways into which the post office was incorporated. An exemplary work of rationalist architecture in brick and Vallone stone by the Cotti firm of Savogna, undoubtedly influenced by the restless forms of Berlage's Dutch architecture, the tower around which the building's volumes curl embodies the symbol of Italian piazzas from the era of the Communes: the secular bell tower, with the luminous red of the clock hands. The interior preserves the monumental mosaic of Saint Christopher by Matilde Festa Piacentini, glass lamps by the Venetian Venini, frescoes by Guido Cadorin, and "industrial" canvases by Edoardo Del Neri.



