Cavour Square – Lions
It used to be called "Piazza del Duomo" but was renamed "Piazza Cavour" after the First World War. It is the city's oldest square, the heart of the town that grew at the foot of the Castle in the 14th century. Formerly known as platea nobilum—the square of the nobles—it was home to the seats of civil and ecclesiastical power and the first noble residences outside the Borgo Castello: the Cathedral, built over the church dedicated to Saints Hilary and Tatian, mentioned since the early 14th century; the Gothic house of Simon Volker degli Ungrispach from 1441; and the Palazzo degli Stati Provinciali from 1545, the current seat of the Police Headquarters, where administrative and judicial functions were exercised.
The postcard shows the connection between Piazza Cavour and Piazza Sant'Antonio. On the left, the distinctive balcony overlooking two squares of Casa Morassi, rebuilt in 1919 after the destruction of the Great War with the assistance of architect Max Fabiani; on the right, the building where Giuseppe Tomini (1790–1886), a virtuoso portraitist of the mercantile bourgeoisie between the Neoclassical and Biedermeier periods, was born. In the background, no longer existing because it was moved to another part of the city, is the Covered Market designed by architect Leopoldo de Claricini in 1878.
The ancient Riva Castello, flanked by late medieval porticoed buildings, the oldest in the "lower city" that arose at the foot of the hill where the "upper city" once stood. On the left, the projecting "arengario" (arched roof) of the Civic Magistrate's House (municipality), built in 1572 by the architect and military engineer Giuseppe Vintana. The image clearly shows the damage caused by the bombings that took the city in 1916, as well as the two tram tracks of line No. 2, which was decommissioned in 1910 and symbolically revived in the paving of Via Rastello with two white stone lanes.



