Building of the Cooperative Credit Association
A little further on, on the opposite side of Corso Verdi, facing the Public Garden, is the beautiful Venetian neo-Gothic style building, designed by the Trieste architect Giorgio Polli.
It was built in the early 1900s on the initiative of the Cooperative Credit Association on land owned by the Mulitsch family, who lived there from 1903 until May 1915, while the bank occupied the first floor.
On July 15, 1916, the house was robbed of its furniture by Austrian troops, after several searches in search of the young Arnaldo Mulitsch, a draft dodger and registered as an irredentist.
The stage command (Etappenkommando), which had its headquarters in the barracks in Piazza Grande (Piazza Vittoria) until August 8, 1916, moved into the building when the Austrians retook Gorizia in late October 1917. With the return of Italian troops on November 7, 1918, the building became the headquarters of the General Staff of the XI Army Corps, commanded by General Paolini. In 1921, the Cooperative Credit Association sold the building to the National Insurance Institute of Rome, which placed its ceramic sign on the facade.




